Frequently Asked Questions

Please read the questions below before contacting the District about your application. Questions are grouped into categories to help you find information quickly.

Q:I have updated my profile but when I view a PDF of my application it shows the old information. Is there any way to overwrite this?A:When you submit an application, the system locks your answers in permanently. HR departments are aware of this and know to check candidate profiles for updated information.Back to TopQ:What happens if I withdraw my application?A:If you withdraw your application the district will no longer consider you for the position from which you are withdrawing. If you withdraw by mistake, please contact the district and they can re-activate your application.Back to TopQ:My application status says “Incomplete”. What should I do?A:If your application status reads “Incomplete,” you will need to contact the district to ask why they have marked it this way. The district’s HR department will tell you if additional application materials are needed.Back to Top
Q:Can I upload more attachments?A:You are currently limited to a maximum of six (6) upload documents. These will carry over to other applications if you apply for more than one job.Back to TopQ:Can I upload a separate group of attachments for each job posting to which I apply?A:At this time there is no way to upload different attachments for different job postings. If you overwrite your current attachments with new ones then the old versions will no longer be viewable by the district.Back to TopQ:Can I upload different cover letters for each job posting to which I apply?A:There is currently no way to upload different cover letters for each job to which you apply. It is best to use a generic cover letter when adding one to your attachments page. This may be unnecessary in some cases where districts have a specific page on their application for you to type your cover letter.Back to Top
Q:How do I apply to jobs as an internal applicant?A:To apply to jobs as an internal applicant, you must currently be employed by the district to which you are applying. There are two ways to create an internal account. Some districts have an “Internal” button enabled at the top right of the screen which will take you through the process of creating an internal account. If you have already created an account and would like to change it to internal, select the “Account Settings” option at the top of the screen after you have logged in. On the right side of the page there is an “Account Type” section. Here you can change your external account to internal by selecting “I am a current employee.”Back to TopQ:How do I view internal job postings?A:To view internal job postings, login with an internal account. The internal postings will appear under the job listings with all of the external postings.Back to TopQ:How do I transfer my Recruit & Hire account from one district to another?A:To transfer your account, sign out of the site (if applicable) and begin applying for the position you would like. You will be prompted to create a new account, sign in, or transfer a currently existing account. Enter the email and password that is connected with your other Recruit & Hire account. Enter the state that the account is located in and press continue. The site will locate your other account. You can then select it to transfer the information over. Please be aware that only some of your profile information will be moved over. You will still need to fill out certain sections on new applications.Back to TopQ:Can I combine multiple Recruit & Hire accounts with different districts?A:Unfortunately you are not able to combine accounts at this time.Back to TopQ:How do I find out about new job postings?A:You can sign up for job alerts on the main login page. Once this is done, you will receive weekly email notices of the jobs that the district has posted.Back to TopQ:How do I change the email address and password linked to my account?A:You can change your account information by select “Account Settings” at the top of the web page. To access account settings you will first need to login.Back to TopQ:If I transfer my account, do I lose all the information in the initial district?A:No information will be lost if you transfer your account. Your account with the previous district will remain active.Back to Top
** HELP!
Q:Trouble logging in?A:Contact applicant support for assistance at 1-877-974-7437.Back to TopQ:Getting an error message?A:Contact applicant support for assistance at 1-877-974-7437.Back to Top
Q:Can I save my incomplete application and return to complete it at a later time?A:Yes. You may logout of your application at any time and return later. When you are ready to complete your application, enter your username and password and you will be allowed to continue your application if the job posting is still open.Back to TopQ:How do I apply for a job?A:Once you find a job you would like to apply for simply click on the title of the job (e.g. "Maintenance Technician"). Then you will review a description of the job and click on the Apply for This Position button. At this point you will either need to login to an existing account you have already created of create a new account. To create a new account click on Create A New Account And Apply For This Position button. Then answer the on-screen questions to create an account. You must complete all required fields and click the "Save and Submit" button at the end of the application. When your application is successfully submitted, you will receive a Confirmation Number. You can use this confirmation number to reference a specific application.Back to TopQ:How do I get back into my application to change it?A:Log in and click on the Profile tab. Your information will appear. At the top of the screen it will say You are NOT applying for a job. Updating profile information. Do not be concerned this is correct you have already applied. When you update your profile information all applications that you have submitted will automatically be updated. Click on save and continue to go through pages, make any necessary changes, log out when you are finished.
Back to Top
Q:What types of files do you accept for Resume, Cover Letter, Letters of Reference etc?A:All files attached to your application must be in .txt, .rtf, .pdf, .docx, or .doc format. If you need to upload an image or scan, you must convert it to pdf or place it into a Word doc file.Back to TopQ:Is there a limit to the number of attachments I can submit with my application?A:A maximum of 6 documents can be attached to your profile/application. Only 1 document can be attached in each of the 6 allocated spaces, uploading additional documents in the same space will replace the previous document(s). If you have more than 6 documents you would like to attach, please scan several of them into one document. The maximum size for each attachment is 20 MB.Back to TopQ:What types of documents should I submit with my application?A:Test scores used to obtain certification (i.e. Praxis scores, NTE, SAT, etc.)

2. Transcript(s); Unofficial and incomplete will be accepted until the point of graduation. All graduates should have transcripts attached with documentation of degree and conferral date.

  a. If applying prior to graduation, upload unofficial, incomplete transcript(s). Upload a new copy of your completed transcript with conferral information at the time of your graduation.

  b. Transcripts from all colleges/universities attended are required.

3. Teaching certificate (if currently hold certification)

  a. If applying prior to obtaining certification, attach certificate when it is received.

Back to Top
Q:How do I check the status of my application?A:Log into your account and then click on the Application Status tab. If you have already applied for a job it will be listed under the Current Applications section. If you want to view additional details about the job you applied for click on the Details link associated with the job. If you have applied for jobs in the past that have been filled, it will be listed in the Previous Applications section.Back to TopQ:Is this a secure website, and is my data secure?A:Yes. All data transfers use 128-bit or 256-bit encryption depending on your computer's capabilities. This is the same type of encryption used for most online banking transactions.Back to TopQ:I forgot my username or password. How can I retrieve it?A:For asstance go to the following link:
Back to TopQ:If I want to apply for multiple positions, do I need to enter all of my information again?A:No, once you have completed your profile information it is very quick and easy to apply for additional positions, simply click on another job listing title and follow the prompts. Your profile information will appear and you can customize your application or simply click on save and continue on each page. Be sure to go through all of the pages to complete the application. Please note: incomplete applications are not viewable for consideration.Back to TopQ:The job title was posted several months ago. Is the position still vacant?A:You can apply for any position listed regardless the posting date. When a vacancy occurs, your application will be considered. Current Job Openings can be found on our web site however, the online application lists and accepts applications for all regular teaching positions all the time - whether or not there is a current vacancy. Openings for other certified positions such as mentor teacher, grant, 11 month assignments, etc are posted to the online application when they occur and only for a specified period.Back to TopQ:Do I need to call to ask for a screening interview?A:Screening interviews are by invitation only. It is our policy that candidates not contact schools. A principal or administrator may contact you via telephone or email to schedule a screening interview (please be sure to keep your contact information current).Back to Top
Maryland Certification
Q:How can I get answers for questions regarding Maryland Certification?A:Contact the Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE), Division of Certification and Accreditation, at (410) 767-0412. MSDE web site:
Back to Top
Q:My reference did not receive the reference link email, what should we do?A:We can send another reference survey email, first verify the email address is correct. The reference should be advised to look for an email From: Subject: Reference Check from Harford County Public Schools. The email may go into their junk mail box. A spam filter or some type of intrusion software could be preventing them from receiving the email. This is most common in work environments, if the reference has a personal email address we could try sending another survey to a different email account.Back to TopQ:If I add another reference or change an email address, what should I do?A:Call the Recruiting and Staffing Office @ 410-588-5238. Once notified, we will send the electronic reference survey.Back to TopQ:My reference says they cannot open the link to the reference survey. What should they do?A:The reference check email contains the following instructions:
If you are having difficulty accessing the survey, please copy and paste the ENTIRE link between the two lines and paste it into your System.Web browser's address bar. Depending on your display, the link may wrap onto two or more lines.

Troubleshooting Tips:

• Usually for individuals that have a problems with the link their email is defaulting to plain text view. They should be able to convert the email to HTML view by a simple click on their tool bar then they will be able to click on the View Reference Survey link and bring the survey right up. This is the preferable resolution as they could have the same problem with other links from other places and then they will know how to fix it.

• Many people have trouble cutting and pasting the link if it appears on more than one line. It is best to cut/paste one line at a time omitting the < > and any spaces.

• The reference could try accessing their email account from another location/computer .

• We could send another survey to a different email address if the reference has more than one (for example try their personal email address verses their work email address).

• If none of the above options work there are other acceptable alternative references methods that are available which include a reference form sent (faxed, emailed, mailed) that can be completed and returned to the Staffing Department. A telephone reverence survey is another acceptable method. It should be noted however that alternative methods do not have the convenience and visibility of the online survey.

The reference may contact us directly at 410-588-5238 if they need assistance.

Back to TopQ:Can a letter of recommendation be used for a reference?A:Letters of recommendation can be attached to your online application, but will NOT be accepted in lieu of an official HCPS reference.
Back to TopQ:Do I need to provide email addresses for my references?A:Please provide email addresses for your references when possible.

Although there our other acceptable reference alternatives, the electronic survey sent via email is the preferred method and has the advantage of more convenience and visibility.
Back to TopQ:How many references do I need?A:Harford Count Public School requires 3 professional references for certified applications.

Please do not use family members, friends or personal acquaintances.

Recent grads and student teachers - use your mentor teachers and college supervisors as references.
Back to TopQ:When will references be contacted?A:References are automatically sent an email with a survey link when you complete and submit your application.Back to Top